What are Focus Blocks?
If Initiatives are the plan, Focus Blocks are the action. They are the unit of progress because they set your minimum bar for action.
- Focus Blocks provide dedicated and focused execution.
- Focus Blocks have two simple elements:
- what action(s) to do
- how much time to commit
- Focus Blocks are never ad hoc. By the time an action enters a Focus Block, it has undergone planning, prioritization, and evaluation.
- In turn each Focus Block achieves impact. It's not about doing more. It's about doing less.
- Focus Blocks are flexible. Fit actions into the time/constraints, not the other way around.
- Progress is directly proportional to Focus Blocks. The more Focus Blocks you commit, the faster / more progress you make... and vice versa.
- Therefore besides reserving time for progress, Focus Blocks set the speed of your flow.